There are so many security solutions out there, sometimes it’s difficult to discern which one will actually work best for your building site.
No matter the size of your site, you want to have confidence that your security has you covered against theft, trespassing, damage, vandalism, and Health & Safety issues. That’s why we’ve put together this quick-fire guide to help you find out which security solution you should use: CCTV, a man guard, or a temporary site security provider.
Closed-circuit Television (CCTV)
CCTV is instantly recognisable, and for that reason it will certainly deter some intruders, particularly if it is highly visible and well-signposted. However, other than that, traditional CCTV is purely retrospective: it does not alert you in real-time when an intruder is on site and has no capacity to detect a break-in. Although it is often not admissible in court due to CPS guidelines, CCTV is only really useful for showing you what happened after a crime has already taken place. It’s also quite expensive and can require repairing, and you’ll need to bear in mind that it is cabled. However, CCTV can be a welcome asset for site managers who want to monitor what occurs on site, staff timekeeping, tracking progress and productivity.
CCTV might be the solution for you if:
- You want site surveillance rather than intruder detection (for example, to monitor staff timekeeping).
- You want to be able to keep records of day-to-day site footage, not just intruders.
CCTV can work as a security solution for your building site if:
- You have a power source.
- You can ensure that the wires will not cause a hazard.
- You can afford the correct number of cameras needed to adequately protect your site.
- You can afford further upkeep for any damage caused to broken wires, burnt-out screens, damaged components and so on.
- You have clearly signposted your CCTV to deter intruders.
- You have employed another form of security that detects and alerts you to intruders on site in real time, as traditional CCTV does not have this capacity.
- You have checked that you are not facing domestic residences, and that employing CCTV on your site is within GDPR/surveillance laws.
Security guards are another security solution available to you. A man guard will patrol the perimeter of your site, write security reports and keep site staff safe. However, guards are a costly solution because you will need to pay a salary. The likelihood is, too, that one guard will not be enough. Any guard you hire will also be entitled to holiday, sick leave, breaks, and so on, which means it’s difficult to get 24 hour coverage of your site without spending a lot of money. Man guards are useful, though, for protecting sites during working hours. Used in tandem with another security solution, such as an alarm system, a man guard can be a great security buffer, particularly for sites with lots of staff members, who may need issues between one another resolving.
Man guards might be the solution for you if:
- You feel your site would benefit from the presence of another in-house staff member who solely handles security.
Guards can work as a security solution for your building site if:
- You can afford enough of them to adequately protect your site, at all hours, allowing of course for sickness, holidays, and other absence.
- You use them in tandem with another security solution, such as temporary site security solutions or CCTV.
- You are prepared to undertake all the necessary paperwork involved with hiring a security guard.
Temporary Site Security
Temporary site security is an umbrella term for any security solution that can be temporarily employed. These types of solutions can include many different features, including fire alarms, mobile cameras and intruder detectors.
The RaiderVision security solution, for example, is a temporary security solution that detects and fully illuminates intruders up to 20m away. Once it detects an intruder, the camera captures video and sends it straight to an SSAIB-certified, BS50518-accredited control room. Within seconds of a confirmed alarm activation, monitoring and control room staff dispatch an SIA-certified rapid response guard and call the police.
With 24/7 real time connection to an insurer-approved control room, RaiderVision can be controlled, reconfigured, armed and disarmed remotely where required without power, telephone lines or cables. It’s up to 90% cheaper than a static guard’s salary, and it’s more cost-effective than CCTV. It should also never need replacing: it is weather-resistant, animal-immune and armoured with steel. The batteries last about a year, and self-diagnose when they need to be changed, sending an alert straight to the system so an engineer can replace the battery at no additional cost.
Temporary site security might be the solution for you if:
- You want to use a security solution that does not need additional security measures to adequately protect your site.
- You don’t have a power source, don’t want to deal with wires, and/or want flexibility as to where you can place and position the system.
- You want to completely hand your security needs over to an external company so you can manage your project.
Temporary site security can work as a security solution for your building site if:
- You use it on its own, or as a supplement to other security solutions.
- You use a reputable security company that is properly accredited, such as to SSAIB or NSI standards.
Whatever security solution you choose to protect your construction site, it’s important that you consider all the pros and cons, so that you can make an educated decision that will give you peace of mind.
Want to learn more about using the RaiderVision security solution to protect your building site? Check out our construction site security page.
Security On Different Sized Construction Projects - RaiderVision
Construction sites and projects range in size from small operations to large sites covering many...
Does My Building Site Security Need To Be Accredited?
If you’re shopping for building site security, you’ve probably come across terms such as “SSAIB”,...
Temporary Remote Building Site Security [All About RaiderVision]
In our recent blog, we covered the most common security solutions (CCTV, man guards, and temporary...